Pages

Monday, October 29, 2012

Short Stories

Stormbreaker:
10/22    pp. 78-106    40 min
10/24    pp. 106-111    10 min
10/26    pp. 111-127    20 min
10/28    pp. 121-136    20 min

Short Stories:
10/25    The Sniper    30 min
10/26    The Return    30 min

Total time: 150 min


            The three stories that I read outside of class were "Hills like White Elephants," "The Sniper," and "The Return." I think the two that have the most potential for a strong thesis are "The Sniper" and "The Return." I had some trouble understanding "Hills like White Elephants." I think point of view would be a good aspect to focus on to make a thesis for either one of these two stories.
            In both "The Return" and "The Sniper," I think point of view is the most important aspect. In "The Sniper," the point of view is 3rd person omniscient. If this were a different point of view or if the narrator was limited, the reader might have not known that he had just shot his brother. The story could have been a lot different. In "The Return," I think the point of view is 3rd person limited. It is limited because there was basically no background information given about the main character or the camps that he was returning home from. In both of these stories, point of view was a very important factor.

2 comments:

  1. I am dying to write about the sniper but I was told that it was too short. So now I have to choose between my other two and Hate them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have noticed a lot of people have read the sniper,and some have said it's not deep enough or not long enough. I think you could write about the Sniper, I don't know if you could make your thesis on point of view even though it is important. how could you argue against? Maybe write about the point of views affect on characters.

    ReplyDelete