Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

Song Analysis

            In the song "Float" by Aesop Rock, there are a few techniques found in poetry used throughout the lyrics. One technique is repeating sounds. In the beginning of the song, I noticed multiple words used that had the 'or' sound, such as portrait, tortoise, tortured, orchard, and order. Another example of repeating sounds is in two lines toward the end of the song: "I am not a crook, I cook the wick at both ends just to blend that element of chance with my tight rope dance." This technique of rhyming within the same line is called internal rhyme. These repeating sounds give the song some rhythm and give it a certain sound. It makes it flow.
            Another technique I saw was saying things that aren't really real or possible to make the listener understand how the author feels. An example of this is in the last line: "I float, while everybody else around me's busy drowning." Obviously, he wasn't actually floating. He said this to convey that he was different and in a better state than everyone else around him.
           
LYRICS: http://www.songlyrics.com/aesop-rock/float-lyrics/

No comments:

Post a Comment