Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

Research Post

            The topic for my researech roject is shotgun shells and how they have changed and improved since they were first introduced. I am interested in this topic because I love hunting and shooting shotguns and never really knew much informations on how the shells actually work and how they have changed since when they were first invented. So far, I have learned that the first shotgun shells had brass casings. Later, shells with paper casings were made but did not work as well as the brass casings. Shells with plastic casings, which are most common today, were first made by Remington in the 1960s. Today, shells have become more advanced in that there is a wide selection of sizes, brands, and shot velocity that you can choose from.
            The topic that I have focused on for this paper is the history of shotgun shells and how/what improvements have been made for better performnce and quality. I foind interest in this topic because I am and avid hunter and shooter of firearms, particularly shotguns. However, I never really knew exactly how shells work and in what ways they were different, or less advanced, than today's modern shells. Lokng into this topic so far, I have fond that early shell cases were made of brass, not plastic as most are today. About a decade later, shells with paper casngs came available, but were not as reliable and efficient as the brass cases because they would swell up when in contact with water and could not be reloaded nearly as many times as shells with brass cases could. The common modern shotgun shells with plastic cases were introduced by Remington in the 1960s. Today, shells have become more advanced in that there is a wide selection of sizes, brands, and shot velocity that you can choose from.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have accomplished a lot of things so far. Just by reading this i learned a lot about shotgun shells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! You seem to know a lot about your topic. Be careful to avoid just listing facts and make sure to analyze what you find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like your research project is doing great. I agree with Matthew as I read your post it was interesting that I learned some things I never knew about shotgun shells.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bennett, I see the contrast in voices. Work on a one-sentence answer to your question that interprets the history rather than listing changes.

    ReplyDelete