Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Nervous Conditions: Chapter 6

            This chapter confirmed my thoughts about Babamukuru not being as fun and loving as I had thought in the beginning. I could not believe the fight that him and Nyasha had. He basically had a brawl with his own daughter. It said he punched her head and slammed it on the ground. That seems pretty harsh for a dad to do to his daughter. This fight had a big effect on Nyasha and Babamukuru's relationship and how they both acted. Nyasha seemed to be recovering by the end of the chapter, but I don't really know if Babamukuru is going to want to talk to Nyasha for a pretty long time.
            One little thing that I just noticed throughout the course of this book was that there is some weird spelling of 'z' or 'ze.' For example, she will write 'realises' instead of 'realizes.' I don't understand why she is spelling these words this way. Is it because of where she is from?

1 comment:

  1. Those are British spellings, which she would use since the English she learns would be British. More practically, we are reading the UK publication of this book. I think the American one has American spelling. The big differences are the s/z substitutions (realise), ou instead of o (colour), and re intsead of er (as in centre, theatre).

    ReplyDelete