Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Reading Times and Nervous Conditions Review

3/11    Finished Nervous Conditions    60 min
3/14    Worked on B Layer    30 min
3/17    Finished B Layer    40 min
3/17    A Layer Project    60 min

Total Time: 190 min


Nervous Conditions Review

            I have mixed opinions about the value of having Nervous Conditions as a required book to read for the 9th grade class. Overall, I think it was probably a good book for our grade to read. I feel like it provided us a different type of book to read, being that it was set in a different country and written by an African woman. It exposed me to a new culture and a different style of writing.
            One of the good things that I think came out of reading this book was the amount of characterization in it. It made me really think about identifying the characters and what kind of people they were. I think this probably made me a better reader and will help me with books that I read in the future, whether for school or just for pleasure.
            Another reason I think this was a good book for the 9th grade to read was because apart from the literary value, it also contained some historical information that none of us would have probably ever learned. It was set in a country that I have never really learned anything about, and I think that it is good to keep learning about other places around the world. Without Nervous Conditions, our class probably wouldn't have even known what Rhodesia was or what it was like in the 1960s.
            The only reason I would say 9th graders should not have to read this book is because it just felt a little random to me. The book sort of just came out of the blue and wan't really related to anything we were doing at the time. However, it was an interesting and valuable book, so I think that it should continue to be a part of the 9th grade syllabus.

No comments:

Post a Comment